Wednesday, May 23, 2012

FAMILY GIFTS

     Having a large family is always a challenge.  Everything from remembering birthdays, anniversaries, addresses, phone numbers, and of course... shoe sizes.  Why shoe sizes you may ask...well, recall my blog about my back surgery?  During recovery I was determined to conquer knitting and finishing my sock project.  So I did.  I made the longest pair of socks that I'd ever owned (will post a picture once I find them again, whoops) and realized that socks can be modified.  Half calf height, knee socks, ankle socks, and sport socks.  Experimenting with socks is always fun, but knowing what STYLE sock is comfortable for family members is always tricky.  See, in October of 2011,  I contacted my sisters and asked what foot sizes do my nieces, nephews, brother in law, and herself have, along with my father, mothers, and brothers or sisters.  She replied.."What did you get lucky to find a shoe store going out of business?" No.  I planned (key operative word here...'planned) to make each and every one a pair of home made socks for holiday gifts.  FAIL!  I had the best intentions and ran out of steam.  My list of foot sizes are up to 13 people and growing since we just added a great-niece in the mix!  So I did get to make socks for my children and one niece for Christmas.  I finally finished my M-I-L's for Mothers Day and my husbands pair for St. Patricks Day (not that we celebrate it, but it just so happened to be completed on that day..LUCKY HIM!!!  hee-hee-hee)


     Regardless of my good intentions, I am determined to furnish every member of my family with a comfy, homemade pair of socks for some time in their lives.  ~ Or at least in my lifetime!
Enjoy some of the pictures:


No comments:

Post a Comment